Pulse ?

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:40:08 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:46 AM, sandie <sandie at sandgreen.dk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> One of the first things I do when installing a new UbuntuStudio, is
> purging the system of Pulse and setting the system to use Alsa. I have
> done it so many times by now, and have even thought of making a script
> that automates the process.
> I know I'm not the only one who doesnt use Pulse in UbuntuSudio, in
> fact, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using their pc
> UbuntuStudio machine for audio/midi-production who uses Pulse :-)
> Can't we have an option to NOT use Pulse in the install ?
>
> With kind regards and respect to the UbuntuStudio devs
> Sandie
> //

Well I certainly regularly use and enjoy the features, and ease-of-use, that
Pulse brings to my laptop.  Furthermore, as it's the desired central hub for
Ubuntu's (current and) future sound chain, it's unlikely that a disable
option will be looked upon as a beneficial feature by the devs.  Such an
option would just allow application developers to forget about adding proper
Pulse support.  It would also probably cause many more issues than it solves
from uneducated people opting out of Pulse or having their system messed up
by the script at some point (there'd also need to be a feature to re-install
Pulse as default should one change their mind).  Currently, the removal of
Pulse is a 'remove at your own discretion' modification; changing that to an
install-time operation would imply official support for non-Pulse systems
(this is the biggest issue behind your idea) and would require a large
number of devs to bug-check and maintain this branch of the sound-server
setup.

Essentially, the sound-server setup is complicated enough as it is; adding
official non-Pulse support would just add to everyone's headaches (and yes
this includes the end-user).

The closest thing I could imagine to what you're asking for, is: if you (or
some other Pulse-hater) wrote a program/script that uninstalled Pulse,
released it, refined it, fixed it, added a GUI, and packaged it for
inclusion into Ubuntu's Universe repository, then it might get accepted.
But I doubt that even then would it be included as an installable option on
startup.

Just my point of view.
-Eric Hedekar