Building the latest Jack

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Wed Jan 14 12:53:43 GMT 2009

suemac at empire.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes:
>
> Since I need(want) features (namely alsa_in/out) in Jack 116 and Ubuntu
> Studio comes with 109 I need to build the latest.
>
> The following is from the FAQ at www.jackaudio.org with my questions mixed
> in:
>
> ---------------
> {Prerequisites
>     * 2.4, 2.5 or 2.6 series kernel with tmpfs turned on (CONFIG_TMPFS)}
>
> Ok, so I have 2.4 from the Ubuntu Studio

You mean 2.6.24.x right?

> {    * Shared memory file system mounted on /dev/shm. add the following to
> /etc/fstab to get it mounted at boot:
>
>       	shmfs       /dev/shm     shm    defaults        0       0
>
>             (Note: you may have to make the /dev/shm directory)
> }
>
> Ok, so /dev/shm exists, but is mounted as devshm already. Adding the above
> and rebooting shows no errors in any log that I found, but only devshm
> shows up when I "mount -l"
>
> {Once you have the correct shmfs support, you should be able to build jack
> with the following sequence of commands:

I would not worry about the above, as long as /dev/shm is mounted, leave
it at the Ubuntu default.

> sh ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> }
>
> Obviously these get typed in a terminal session. But:
>
> * as root?

Only the install one needs to be root.  sudo works just as well/

> * what directory should I be in?

The directory that contains the jack source.  You likely downloaded a
.tar.gz or .tar.bz2 file.  Did you run tar -xvf name_of_jack_source.tar.bz2

> * where do I extract the tar ball that has the source?

Does not matter.  I tend to keep all my stuff built from source in /usr/src

As an alternative to make install, you could use checkinstall.  This
will create a .deb file that you can install and uninstall with apt.

You may wish to have a look here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/0.116.1-2ubuntu1
to get the files to build a proper package.

Hth,