building 2.6.24 in an intrepid environment

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sun Jan 4 17:40:48 GMT 2009

>  What's in Intrepid that's NOT in Hardy? (or 'Studio')

A much less buggy version of Ardour and several other packages for one, as
well as several updated Audio drivers that work w/ my hardware .

>  Since Studio is built on a LTS package (8.04), that's
> enough support for the next few years. Plus it has RealTime.

I'm not really into compiling all of my apps from the ground up. To be
productive w/ Ubuntu Studio, I just need Intrepid to have a working -rt
kernel package as opposed to attempting to back-port / compile a bunch of
stuff from Intrepid into Hardy.

I've been keeping my eye on the lists and various launchpad links for a
while, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of progress.

>  If RT is that important to you, consider using it.

RT is critical to my applications. It is the only way to actually get glitch
free audio recording. I could use Hardy, but it has older versions of the
applications that I use, and I would have to re-compile new ones.

In any case, I'll just wait until it gets sorted out and keep using Sonar
Producer 8 until then.