FYI -- Just to let you know of potential sound problems

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 23:52:57 BST 2009

I don't know if this would help, but a ways back I was reading about how to speed up 9.04, and someone said to replace Pulse with Esound..  It seems to work, but I don't know what it is actually doing.

Here is a tutorial I made on youtube covering it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN70LNMdGo0

There is also a tutorial somewhere about why not to remove pulse, that it removes gnome-desktop.. I also don't know what the problem is with that.

Thanks.
Esound is what I was using before. It uses oss (or in my case, I think, alsa-oss).
I was using the following set of directions, and they worked until recently.

sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-source pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) module-assistant alsa-source esound
sudo dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source
sudo module-assistant a-i   alsa-source
reboot

Maybe I'll try again, and watch your video.