Open Office

David Stocker dstocker at thenotesetter.com
Wed Apr 29 12:21:11 BST 2009

Although more complicated than Add/Remove or Synaptic, another option is
to download the *.deb package from the OpenOffice.org
<http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US> website and then
install it using dpkg. I've used this method with Ubuntu Studio and
OpenOffice integrates seamlessly (themes, etc. render correctly, spell
checking works). Plus, you can get the latest stable build of OpenOffice
without having to upgrade Ubuntu or mess with the sources list (3.1, due
out very soon, has a few nifty improvements, and 3.2, due out later this
year [?] is supposed to include the much awaited support of Open-type
fonts).

Email me if you get stuck.

David
dstocker at thenotesetter.com