Dropping ffmpeg, ffmpeg2theora, and kino from UbuntuStudio video task.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 21 09:57:44 BST 2009

Hi all
As a last minute fix, I've been asked to remove any packages from the UbuntuStudio disks that depends, or recommends ffmpeg/libavcodec52. This means that kino, ffmpeg, and ffmpeg2theora have to be removed from the disks.

Unfortunately this only leaves 2 packages in the video task, stopmotion, and dvgram. The video task won't be removed, as its too much work, and too risky at this late stage of the release cycle, so for karmic, we will need to consider the future of the video task very carefully, having to look closely at any new app we would like to include, making sure it does not pull in libavcodec52.

The reason libavcodec52 is not allowed on the disks is discussed in technical board resolution 2007-01-02. Unfortunately this is out of my hands, if you wish to discuss this further, please take it up with the technical board.

Luke