FireWire drive access gone

Gustin Johnson gustin at echostar.ca
Sun Sep 7 18:10:45 BST 2008

Paul DeShaw wrote:

> Thanks for answering.  I finally got some time to work on this.  I'm
> fuzzy on the concept of mount point.  My Googling hasn't helped me find
> the path and mount point to the drive.  If I use ls /media the drive is
> directly below /media, so I tried using /media/PPA1 in the command:

Mount point is where you access the drive on your filesystem.  In the
Windows world this is a drive letter (although you can mount a file
system in a directly on the last two versions of Windows).  So, you have
a device, say /dev/sdb, on it is one partition, say /dev/sdb1, on that
partition you have a file system (HFS in your case, ext2 on my flash
drives, ext3 on my USB hard drives).  In order for you to access the
files in that filesystem, you have to mount the drive.  Typically Ubuntu
does this automatically in /media

> pad at MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 \{\} \;
> [sudo] password for pad:
> find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory

Do a "df -Th" from the command line.  This will show you what is mounted
where, and with what filesystem.  What do you see?

The no such file or directory usually means that the directory you
specified (PPA1) does not exist.

> You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do that.

I am not sure if Ubuntu can do this for HFS file systems (the machine I
am on right now does not have support for HFS).  Typically you would use
fsck.  I know what filesystems I use so the syntax I use below  will not
work exactly as is for you.

fsck.ext3 -cfv /dev/sdb1

> I chose to use a non-journaled HFS+ file system so I could share the
> drive between Mac and Linux systems without the file size limitation
> that FAT2 imposes.  This was working pretty well for a while.

Do Macs support ext2 or 3?  This is a better choice IMO.  I know that
there is a decent Windows driver for Ext2/3 and is why I use it.

> The idea was to use my Mac laptop in the field, but still be able to
> open the Ardour sessions with my Linux desktop.  Now that I have Ubuntu
> Studio on the laptop as well, it's kind of moot.  Maybe it's best to
> back up the files, reformat the disk ext3, and put the files back.
> (Recall that the disk is readable, just not writable).  OTOH I see value
> in learning about interoperability betwen Linux and Mac OS, since I
> might want to collaborate with a Mac user.

I exchange files with a Mac user regularly.  Usually I get a bunch of
PCM Wav files or FLAC files on a DVD that I then import.  Sometimes he
just copies them to my laptop via Samba.  I have personally had poor
experiences with HFS, so I avoid it.  Interoperability over the network
is usually fine though either via Samba or an SFTP client (ssh file
transfer, not FTPS which is FTP + SSL/TLS).