FireWire drive access gone

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 08:10:10 BST 2008

> On August 25, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> >
> >     "Paul DeShaw"wrote:
>
> > How do I fix this?
> >

> sudo find /path/to/drive/mount/point -type d -exec chmod 0666 \{\} \;
>
> This is assuming that there are no other problems with the drive.  I
> would unmount and check the disk for inconsistancies.
>
> You also did not mention  what file system this drive is using.  That
> might help us to diagnose the problem as well.

Hello,

Thanks for answering.  I finally got some time to work on this.  I'm fuzzy
on the concept of mount point.  My Googling hasn't helped me find the path
and mount point to the drive.  If I use ls /media the drive is directly
below /media, so I tried using /media/PPA1 in the command:

pad at MacBuntu:~$ sudo find /media/PPA1 -type d -exec chmod 0666 \{\} \;
[sudo] password for pad:
find: /media/PPA1: No such file or directory

You also said to check the drive for problems; I'm not sure how to do that.

I chose to use a non-journaled HFS+ file system so I could share the drive
between Mac and Linux systems without the file size limitation that FAT2
imposes.  This was working pretty well for a while.

The idea was to use my Mac laptop in the field, but still be able to open
the Ardour sessions with my Linux desktop.  Now that I have Ubuntu Studio on
the laptop as well, it's kind of moot.  Maybe it's best to back up the
files, reformat the disk ext3, and put the files back. (Recall that the disk
is readable, just not writable).  OTOH I see value in learning about
interoperability betwen Linux and Mac OS, since I might want to collaborate
with a Mac user.

--Paul