Ubuntu Studio 8.10, -rt and 2.6.27

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 05:43:18 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> Make no mistake. This is a major issue that *could* make us skip a
> release. In the end, it might be the way to go rather than ship a
> release we're not proud of.

My first reaction to reading this conversation is that releasing software
packages with major functionality issues (no realtime audio support is a
major functionality issue for a large portion of your userbase) is a big no
no.

I'd say for now, plan to not release, but get your workload schedules
perfect for Jazzy Jackalope (9.04) - and make it worth the wait.
Also, look into working on an intrepid-like metapackage update for hardy
(call it ubuntustudio-8.04.2).  I don't know how feasable this strategy
might be, but it's what popped into my head.

I think using a generic .27 kernel until a -rt version is released would
only be acceptable if a guaranteed update date for the -rt could be
publicized before the release of intrepid (I'm aware of how impossible this
is).  Once again, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Using a .26 kernel scares me.

My experience with UbuntuStudio Intrepid so far has been fairly brief, as
it's apparent my ati graphics card doesn't like the ati drivers in Intrepid
repositories (one of the first tweaks to the system I attempted was to get
compiz-fusion up).  I haven't had time to fix the graphics yet, so I can't
say much for the audio (just yet).

-Eric Hedekar