Ubuntu Studio 8.10, -rt and 2.6.27

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Mon Sep 1 22:08:47 BST 2008

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:56:30 -0400
"Cory K." <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> One of the big things will be device support as the new kernel brings
> better support. Along with very much improved (or so I'm told)
> suspend/resume support.
>
> While this shipping an "out-of-sync" kernel looks like the best
> option, it also have it's major drawbacks. So while you might have an
> -rt kernel, you might have bad performance from the devices you need
> the kernel for.
>
> Make no mistake. This is a major issue that *could* make us skip a
> release. In the end, it might be the way to go rather than ship a
> release we're not proud of.
>
> -Cory K.

Wouldn't the out-of-sync kernel also mean security issues?
I'm pretty sure that quite some people use ubuntu studio as general
purpose system as well, so that would be an issue.

How about: shipping -generic until there is a .27-rt and
provide the out-of-sync kernel as option in a ppa.
It would be great if the .27-rt would be able to automagically replace
the ppa version.

I haven't tested those kernels yet, and while it is said that more and
more rt-stuff goes into the generic kernel word is out that .26 is
pretty bad for audio and midi.
It would be good to hear some hands-on experience from people who
already test intrepid.

Best Regards,
	Philipp