Ubuntu Studio 8.10, -rt and 2.6.27

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 20:56:30 BST 2008

Marc R.J. Brevoort wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Cory K. wrote:
>

>> we're looking at these options:
>>
>>    * Shipping the -generic kernel with this 8.10 release of Ubuntu
>>      Studio and let people compile their own -rt kernel. With a latter
>>      PPA release of -rt for testing as upstream support happens.
>>    * Ship a out-of-sync 2.6.26-rt kernel, hoping for a Stable Update
>>      Release in Intrepid with .27 later.
>>

> For me, the great thing about UbuntuStudio is that things work out of the
> box: I don't *have* to compile a kernel to get proper realtime support.
>
> Over the years, I've closely followed the progress in Linux Audio land
> and have compiled lots of kernels, but am very glad that I rarely
> have to anymore (if ever). If the realtime kernel lags a version behind,
> so be it- If I really need the latest bleeding edge functionality *now*,
> I can always decide to compile my own anyway, but I'm more likely to
> simply wait until it appears and be OK with it. So from my
> point of view, an out-of-sync RT kernel would be fine. But as different
> people have different needs, let's hear what others have to say.
>
> Best,
> Marc

One of the big things will be device support as the new kernel brings
better support. Along with very much improved (or so I'm told)
suspend/resume support.

While this shipping an "out-of-sync" kernel looks like the best option,
it also have it's major drawbacks. So while you might have an -rt
kernel, you might have bad performance from the devices you need the
kernel for.

Make no mistake. This is a major issue that *could* make us skip a
release. In the end, it might be the way to go rather than ship a
release we're not proud of.

-Cory K.