Selecting Hardware for Music Production

Matthew Polashek matt at tinysongs.net
Sun Oct 26 22:42:20 GMT 2008

Sean Darby wrote:
> Hi again!
>

>> PCI seems to be the most solid most of the time.  M-Audio and RME are
>> the most well supported, but EMU is right behind I believe.
>>

> When you said EMU is "right behind" did you mean EMU or RME currently
> has more support for Linux?

RME used to have their Linux drivers on their website.  Lots of
support!  Same thing for M-audio.

EMU never did.  However, there has been some great work by developers on
the EMU drivers.

> If both are pretty solid anyway, I'm guessing it doesn't matter too
> much. If I see any gear that's equivalent between the two I might go for
> the one at a more affordable cost.

RME has a better clock.

>> Firewire audio drivers are not well developed and the hardware
>> manufactures have not been forthcoming with assistance.
>>

> That makes sense. I never even heard of FFADO until someone mentioned it
> in here.
>
> Actually, I never heard of "MADI"/multichannel audio digital interface,
> either. (Whoops, I thought it was "inputs" for the "I".)
>

>> The best IMHO is the RME Hammerfall series.  The 9652 is pretty great
>> and really well supported in Linux by the manufacturer.  An RME card
>> with an Apogee clock and A/D with a True Systems Mic pre is a pretty
>> common find in a studio these days.
>>

> Cool! I'll try to put RME at the top of the list of options to consider.
>
> ...now if I can figure out how to incorporate other audio gear into the
> mix along with the appropriate RME device (all of that hopefully at an
> affordable price).

One possible chain could work like this:

Sound source --> At2020 --> Behringer ADA 8000 --> RME 9652 --> Jack -->
ardour --> disc.

How does that sound?  Check out my sax tracks on jandmjazz.com.