Selecting Hardware for Music Production

Sean Darby sean at seandarby.com
Fri Oct 24 06:56:29 BST 2008

> Sean-
>
> What are your goals?  what kind of product are you after?
>
> Matt

Two primary objectives as far as music production goes:
1. Recording.
2. Composing.

I would like to be able to record music, such as from my guitars
(acoustic and electric), bass guitar, electronic drumset, and full-size
MIDI keyboard.

I'm thinking about getting a new keyboard, like a 2 octave one to put
next to the computer keyboard, though for use primarily with composing.

What could I get to successfully record those "rock band instruments"?

I'm guessing microphones and a mixer, though am unsure what computer
equipment I'll need - that is compatible with Linux.

Side Note: Is there a 64-bit version of Ubuntu Studio? I'm aware of a
64-bit Ubuntu, though am unsure how Studio handles it.

Thank you for any advice, especially on recording equipment that I could
consider getting. I'd really like to have a better idea on all of this,
and devices I can get on a "budget". We can say I have between $100 and
$1,500 to put into this gear (excluding the actual cost of the
(non-music-related) computer equipment). I know that's a large
difference between low and high, though I'm hoping to keep it as low as
possible without sacrificing quality.

Thank you!

Sean Darby

> Sean Darby wrote:
> > That's an interesting mixer, I've never heard of "Allen and Heath".
I'm