Problems with "sudo apt-get update"

Daniel Caleb danielcaleb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 19:57:53 BST 2008

Hi,

It looks like your sources.list file has some issues with it.

There's a couple ways to handle this... Personally, I would edit it directly
and remove the offending addresses and edit it according to what you want to
upgrade to.

For instance, if you are not using the CD to install software from then
comment out those lines completely.

It looks like you are still attempting to contact
archive.ubuntustudio.org/ubuntustudio - apparently this repo has been removed:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromFeisty

It appears that repo has been merged into the regular archives, so now
upgrading is this easy:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy

The other way to handle this... Is to launch synaptic, sudo synaptic - then
click on Settings, then Repositories. There's a nice little online guide with
pictures here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable-the-universe-and-multiverse-
repositories-in-ubuntu-804-hardy.html

This How To centers around the Hardy release but should be applicable for each
release. If you look at your sources.list, at each line that is not commented
there is a name referring to the release. Gutsy, Feisty, Hardy.

deb http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted

If you replace gutsy with Hardy - that will make Hardy's packages available,
and would then upgrade the system if those packages were applied. So, if you
want to stay with Gutsy - after you follow the above how-to then manually edit
the sources.list file (run: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list) and make sure
that all the lines that are not commented say gutsy...

Hope that was clear...
Daniel