realtime?

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Thu Oct 2 21:42:53 BST 2008

sandie wrote:
> Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> It took me a few hours before the first blowup occurred. :-)
>>
> Seam it was a bit premature with my "mission accomplished"
> statement. I guess you where right when calling it a can of worms,
> I have never seen so many strange bugs :-)

...and it only gets worse, sad to say. Just run it a while longer, and
make sure you're doing something important so it can really hose you
when it goes off the edge of the cliff. :-(

The Ubuntu Studio team have been warning us on this list for sometime
that there would be real problems to overcome doing an rt kernel-based
Ubuntu Studio 8.10. I had to go find out myself why that was. So did
you. Now we know. I guess it will be along in its own good time.

Your choices: either stay with Hardy for now if you must have the rt
kernel performance. Or try running the 8.10 apps you really have to
have with the 2.2.19 rt kernel and determine if they behave properly.
If your apps set is such that this kluge works on your box, it could
be a viable way to go for the short-term. Or do what I'm going to do
(fast CPU with lots of RAM to burn) and go with the 2.2.27x generic
kernel and move to Intrepid in 4 weeks time (Well..I've made the jump
as of the Intrepid BETA 1 today, but Oct 30th is the release date).
All of which leads to a more formal migration to Ubuntu Studio on
Intrepid when Cory et al say it's ready for prime time using the rt
kernel.
NP: John Martyn "Solid Air"