help with Side Chain Compression

adam faranda adam.faranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:48:25 BST 2008

Yeah, you can do it entirely in ardour; I put the compressor on it's own
bus (SC1 -- 2 channels -- aux for the side chain, and one
channel for compression)  and had my drum track and a constant volume sine
tone on separate mono tracks. I routed the drums into the side chain input,
and the sine tone into the main input and Lo and behold, the drum track did
indeed modulate the amplitude of the sine tone, albeit somewhat weakly.
However now its just a matter of playing with parameters to get the right
sound; I may also try doubling the compression by chaining two instances of
SC1 together.