realtime?

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 1 14:41:37 BST 2008

sandie wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just joined this list, so please bear with me if this has been asked a
> thousand times before :-)
> Is there any word about a realtime kernel in Ubustu-Ipex ? and if not...
> is there a beginners guide to building it yourself ?

Intrepid will not be *shipping* with -rt. We intend to make every effort
to get it in after release but many things will have to fall into place.
Preliminary tests show that the current Hardy -rt kernel works minus
some issues with non-free drivers but installing -generic *before*
upgrading might be a good idea. We're looking at things to make this
easier atm. Users are encouraged to stick with Hardy on production
machines. Efforts will be made to backport packages like Ardour.

As far as building -rt from scratch, I'm sure others can chime in. Note
that upstream -rt currently does not support 2.6.27. (2.6.26.5-rt9 is
latest patch) This is a part of the reason for no -rt in Intrepid.

-Cory K.