Difference between CD- and Meta-Install

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:38:36 BST 2008

Cory K.(e)k dio:
> hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
>> I don't know what the differences are, maybe cory can shed some light
>> on it?
>>
>> Philipp
>
> Just a few things.
>
>     * It's not quite the same in that your current user will not get all
>       the settings we set. (new users will)
>     * There looks to be a upgrade issue. (System sees you as Ubuntu and
>       not Studio)
>     * Just feels messy. (obviously my OCD opinion)
>
> Big thing is uses are using a different base. Just has made it difficult
> to troubleshoot in the past.
>
> So personally, I recommend a clean install of Studio and not just use of
> our packages like -desktop or -settings.

this is interesting... I assumed that it was actually the same to
install Ubuntu and then upgrade to Studio by installing the packages.
Maybe this should be more clear on the website or somewhere visible? I
have never seen any warning about this. Many people might do the same
mistake as Ubuntu installer is more "appealing" than the old style
Debian one.

btw. anyone has succesfully created a USB memory with the Studio
installer? any wiki or howto i could have a look to? i know how to do it
with normal ubuntu but not sure about studio. my laptop does not have cd
or dvd drive.

enrike