OT: How to split the ubuntu-studio iso file

Sean Darby sean at seandarby.com
Thu May 1 20:57:17 BST 2008

To the original individual with the questions:

The "split" command will do it, if you are able to access the file on a
*nix system and if you are simply needing to transfer it over from one
computer to another.

You could also try installing a small *nix set-up on your flash drive
for transferring files over from one computer to another.

If that doesn't work, the "split" command might still come in handy at
some point down the road.

You'd like to split an iso file:
file.iso = 1.1GB

You can split it into multiple smaller files:

split -b 680m file.iso

(You can use an amount other than 680.)
(The "-b" = "bytes" (size) of each split file.)
(k for KB, m for MB, etc... k, m, g, t, p, e, z, y.)

The output files:
xaa xab xac (etc.)
(You might want to rename those to something like "xaa_filename"
"xab_filename" etc., though that may not be necessary if this is the
only file you're splitting.)

Later, after transferring the files from one computer to another:

cat xaa xab xac > file.iso

or:

cat xa* > file.iso

This will put it back into the original state.

It can help when using a flash drive, though you might have to make
multiple file transfers to and from the different mediums. In any case,
that's split and cat.

More below...

> |> pc...

If you can put something like DSL (Damn Small Linux) on the flash drive,
or something smaller (even DSL is starting to get "fat") - perhaps a
Unix system instead - you might be able to pull it off.

Several systems can be installed with just the "base" applications. If
you exclude X apps (for GUI) you'll save a ton of space right away.

When you get to the public Windows-based computer, you turn it off,
insert the flash drive, turn the computer on and hit the proper key to
select boot options (F2, F8, F12, etc.). It usually tells you early in
the boot process which key does it. It will usually - even on
restrictive computers - let you boot into the other system then.

Once you have booted into another OS, you have complete control.

If you can manage, you might consider getting a larger flash drive to
allow for ease in this whole process.

> |> portable, (on my flash drive {no privileges}) so it's kinda hard. Maybe
> |> impossible. I was just hoping someone else had done this.

I visited a university out of town a while back, got onto a computer at
their library (it had a lot of restrictions), booted into my
OpenBSD/Unix flash drive (USB), I think it was a 2 GB stick, and did my
work on there - including internet.

Yeah, a larger flash drive would help a lot. They've come down in price.

In a case like this having 1 flash drive with a lot more space on it is
more appropriate than several smaller flash drives.

Best of luck,

Sean