I know just enough to really screw up my machine...

Janne Jokitalo astraljava at kapsi.fi
Thu Mar 20 17:00:02 GMT 2008

Please, Christopher, do not top-post. I took the liberty of re-organizing the
flow of posts.

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Gary Ball <gball at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> >
> > While Getting the ALSA drivers from a *fresh* kernel to get my CMI sound
> > card to work with JACK,
> > I guess I blew out my gdm ubuntu-desktop (which I heard may happen), bet
> > when re-installing the desktop in terminal, it choked & had to be re-booted.
> > It will not allow me to install as root or as a user, the only thing it will
> > let me do is re-install Ubuntu 7.10!

Can you elaborate on this, what are the error messages?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:43:12PM -0400, Christopher Stamper wrote:
> Can you just re-install the ubuntu-desktop package from the terminal?
>
> Something like sudo apt-get install ubun[t]u-desktop?

That's the correct way.

> BTW, to switch to vterm do ctrl+alt+f1 or alt+f1

That won't be necessary, installing can be done in gnome-terminal, but
restarting X will be required (perhaps this is what you referred to). To do this
one can either hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, or type `sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart`.

--
Jaska