question about ogg/ogv

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 22 16:01:21 BST 2008

laurent.bellegarde wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> where can i found informations about the rules to create free video using
>
> - video : theora
>
> - audio : vorbis
>
> - container : ogg or ogv
>
> as i look there, the official website doesn't indicate ogv container ???
>
> http://www.xiph.org/ogg/
>
> Is there something official for ogv, because none of all the video
> editing software under GNU/Linux is creating ogv container, only ogg.
>
> Thank's for your answers,
>
> Laurent

Haha! Subject near and dear to my heart. :) .ogv is an ogg container.
It's just a MIME difference AFAIK.

Here's info: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions

So you should be able to just name it .ogv and be fine. This is also
what I was told for audio ad well on the #vorbis channel.

-Cory