"The Death of High Fidelity" Sad, sad, sad...

Cory K. coryisatm at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 22:13:29 GMT 2008

Paul DeShaw wrote:
> The other thing I noticed, when I was taking audio production classes
> last year, was a very acute awareness about these problems among 19-22
> year old future audio engineers, performers, and producers.  I heard
> these young adults lament the bad sound of Mp3's and brick-wall
> mastering.  If the next generation that produces music is this aware,
> it gives me a little hope, especially if they are producing music for
> people whose ears have been sensitized to the nuances of musical sound
> from an early age.
>
> Peace,
>
> Paul
>
> www.ecmma.org <http://www.ecmma.org>
> www.giml.org <http://www.giml.org>
> www.musikgarten.org <http://www.musikgarten.org>
> www.giamusic.org <http://www.giamusic.org>

That is indeed encouraging to hear. I was kinda shocked to hear about
bands like Rush and Dream Theater doing "brick-wall" mastering as those
are 2 bands I would usually associate with fidelity.

We'll see what happens when Apple starts offering their lossless format
on iTunes. With as much as I'm not a fan of iTunes, maybe it can help
this trend.

-Cory \m/