Yet another Vinyl vs. CD/Digital debate

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Thu Feb 21 01:56:15 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Cory K. wrote:
> Theres no reason to kill dynamic range so song A sounds as loud as song B.
>
> I'm just a touch sensitive about compression. ;)

Leave compression to the LOUD button on the CD player.  I really can't do
without brick wall compression in my truck, because I can't *hear* dynamic
range over the wind noise, the tire noise, the turbo, the thrumming 500 HP
diesel, the air dryer...

But when I'm sitting at home spinning the same disc (well, spooling its
contents off my hard drive) in the blissful quiet of my den, I want the
dynamics, dammit.
--
D. Michael McIntyre