convert dv to 'internet video' format

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Fri Sep 28 15:15:42 BST 2007

Mark Stuart Burge kirjoitti:
> What would be the best approach (for a newbie) to edit dv (doesn't have
> to be a bells and whistles editor- just something like ms moviemaker)
> and then convert it to a format suitable for uploading to a site like
> you-tube ?

Kino can do it. I got a movie from my Olympus µ720SW-camera.

Kino import it and transfer it to dv-file. Then I export it to mpeg2-
and mpeg4-movie. Or even to ogg.

asmok at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ file P1291145.MOV
P1291145.MOV: data

asmok at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ file P1291145.MOV.dv
P1291145.MOV.dv: DIF (DV) movie file (PAL)

asmok at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ file  testi.mpeg
testi.mpeg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

asmok at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ file testi.mp4
testi.mp4: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1

asmok at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ file testi.ogg
testi.ogg: Ogg data, Theora video

I think mpeg4 is suitable for YouTube, nerver done that, anyway.

My Kino is builded from source, Kino 1.1.1.

Feisty has older, Gutsy newer.

Feisty Kino: 0.92-1ubuntu3
Feisty Gutsy: 1.1.0-3ubuntu2

Best regards Asmo Koskinen.