laptop DAW

Denis Crowdy dcrowdy at southernphone.com.au
Mon Sep 10 11:50:51 BST 2007

Hi Rafael,

I teach students music and audio engineering using Nuendo and various
other DAW, synth and editing programs, but chose to use linux for my own
audio work.  Ubuntustudio is a great place to start - good choice.
First thing is to make sure you can get the audio server "jack" going
smoothly without xruns.  See http://jackaudio.org/ for info.  I find it
best to control with "qjackctl".  Ardour is a great DAW - really quick
and slick for recording and editing - but it does need jack running
well.  Following the advice about a realtime kernel helps too.

Just found this link -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/FireWire_Recording - for
firewire devices, but it also mentions how to get the realtime kernel going.

Hope this is useful,

Denis

--
Dr Denis Crowdy
Department of Contemporary Music Studies, Macquarie University