laptop DAW

Kim Burgess phreaksaccount at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 13:43:00 BST 2007

Like you I am also a music student who has recently seen the light. Before
switching to UbuntuStudio I used Nuendo as my main DAW and made the swicth
for ideological purposes. One of the main differences you will notice in
changing from a Nuendo/Windows box to a linux system is that within linux,
apps are built to do a specific task, but can quite easily and effeciently
pass data between themselves. This setup gives you a very effective modular
system to work in, and removes the need to run bloated applications that
offer a multitude of functionality, most of which is seldomly used. You will
probably find that Ardour will be the best editor to ground yourself in, but
as Denis noted it is important to get jack functioning smoothly first. Once
you have this base up and running you can start learning your way round
rosegarden and hydrongen for sequencing and, if your keen, get into pd for
some hardcore custom audio manipulation (among other things) - although if
your approaching for the more 'classic' musician style rather than that of a
techno geek this may appear a little daunting at first, but learning how to
use it will prove incredibly useful and expose possibilities of new levels
of creativity.

To get you started this site
<http://www.out-of-order.ca/tutorials/ardour/>has a good basic
tutorial on Ardour.