Kubuntu 7.04 update to Ubuntustudio

Rafael F. Compte rfcompte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:36:31 BST 2007

> As I currently have Kubuntu 7.04 installed on my
> laptop and no other machine available right now,
> I hope to upgrade Kubuntu to -studio  with the hints
> in:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromFeisty
>
> First:  Is it right that I can leave ubuntustudio-desktop from the
> package list to get a full system (including low-lat. kernel) with
> my beloved;-) KDE?
>
> Must I expect problems with the low-lat. Kernel and therefore
> make a backup of the current one (or is it installed in parallel)?
>
> Second:  The page lists the package 'ubuntustudio-audio-plugins',
> while it is named  'ubuntustudio-plugins' on the page:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList
> What's right?

Hi Dirk, I did something like that a few months ago. I had Feisty Fawn
and then I installed two packages: ubuntustudio-audio and
ubuntustudio-audio-plugins. You can do it from the synaptic package
manager. First you need to add the repositories. See
http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads.
See also
http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/23/add-ubuntu-studio-to-an-existing-ubuntu-install/
There are couple of commands you will need to run to get the settings
right for audio works. It's in there.
This method won't install the themes or anything. You can still have
your KDE desktop.And both kernels are installed in parallel. You can use
a GUI program like startup manager, which is vey intuitive and easy, to
choose a default kernel and to hide the menu list. I do this in my
laptop and only choose the lowlatency one when i will work with audio.
Welcome and good luck!!

Rafael