getting echoaudio soundcard to work - now it won't record

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 21:27:01 BST 2007

Hi again. I sudo nano'd as instructed.
Tried "Sound" but under "audio conferencing" my soundcapture says
IndigoIO (Not connected).
The error message reads
gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink
profile=chat: Resource busy or not available.
I imagine there is something I am missing.

BTW --
I also want to eventually use a Windows sound application through WINE.
I want to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8. It runs pretty well using ALSA
(as good as it does on Windows XP)
but I want to make it run better. Am counting on Indigoio + less latency
to give it a significant accuracy boost over my standard configuration.
But right now, I would be happy to be able to record in
gnome-sound-recorder, which is what I'm testing with.
I'll go for sub-5 latency as soon as I straighten this out.

Susan