getting echoaudio soundcard to work - now it won't record

Jonathan Leonard jonathan.adams.leonard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:50:07 BST 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 7:14 AM, Susan Cragin wrote:

> Jonathan --
> The following is the output from etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, with the
> changes I made to get the indigo io to run.
> Just adding  options snd-indigoio index=0 near the bottom works but
> did
> not survive re-booting.
> The indigoio now runs great in the output mode, but I can't get it to
> record, and think I may have another error below.
> Also, the little audio icon in the upper right is on "mute" no matter
> what I do.
> Susan

Hi Susan, the edit did not survive the reboot?  Make sure you edit /
etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base  as root.  For example:

$sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Also, you don't need to comment out every line in the options
section, I would leave them enabled.  For example if there is an
integrated soundcard on your system, it might need to be 'demoted',
if not entirely disabled in the bios.  But I am awfully fond of my X-
session usb controller so for me, I compile Alsa with 'usb-audio' in
addition to layla20 and in the options section layla gets 0 and usb-
audio gets 1.  As you might notice, this would require changing its
value from -2 to 1 in the file since someone decided this might cause
initial complications.

After installing ALSA the default alsamixer is typically muted, but
if you get sound thats fine.

Regarding the sound control in the 'studio desktop, try assigning
your device as the default soundcard in the Sound preferences.  I
ignored it for quite some time without any ill affect.  At some point
I updated another sound library and it started working, so pretty
messy on the maintainers part.  Anything related to the echo device I
use echomixer for - alsa mixer can go play tennis for all I care.
You might make a keyboard shortcut for the echomixer, or add it to
your desktop panel bar.  I like using the function keys for terminal,
echomixer, firefox etc.

For problems recording, take a peek at the echomixer VU meters to see
input activity and levels.  I might ask what app you use to record as
well.  If you have not done so, you might try starting qjackctl and
creating a profile for your device.  Most options can be left
disabled, but leave rt checked.  Try out 256 frames, 2 periods to see
if that works.  My guess is that 128 frames, 2 periods with rt
checked should work in general.  Once qjackctl is running, open up
ardour which needs jack to be running first.

Ubuntu Studio Fiesty installs with the 'low latency' kernel.  If you
feel ambitious and want sub 5 ms latency you can install the
'realtime' kernel patches referenced in the Multimedia Production
forum for Ubuntu.  This requires more tweaking, but you can
significantly increase the performance of the echo device this way,
though it might be fine for your uses now.

I have been using a windows application called Reaper which runs well
in Ubuntu Studio with the wineasio driver and wine.  Its another
project, but it lets me run and record windows vst instruments I have
done sound design for.

So, some partial success!  Almost there...

-jonathan adams leonard