Notation Software

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 22 18:49:23 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 21:09 -0400, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> mScore is/was supposed to be patterned after Sibelius.  It builds a soft synth
> into itself, and comes bundled with a soundfont, so you never have to worry
> about noise problems.  When I last looked at this, it seemed very promising,
> but very rudimentary and not yet really usable for anything at all.  I
> haven't looked at it in quite some time, but Ubuntu Feisty doesn't have any
> packages (of this or Canorus either one), so I don't take this as an
> encouraging sign that it has come a long way in the last while.

Hi,

I'm also interested in music notation programs, and had not come across
mScore before. I've downloaded the sources, and am in the process of
building an Ubuntu package for it, which I will then upload to my
PPA[0]. I find it strange that they bundle FluidSynth sources in their
tarball, but I've patched the build process to use the shared library
from Ubuntu.

I never know why upstreams bundle libraries, when they could just depend
on them as shared objects. If they need patches, then send them further
upstream!

Toby Smithe

[0] http://ppa.launchpad.net/tsmithe/ubuntu
    https://launchpad.net/~tsmithe/+archive