Sound card advise

João Del Valle joaodelvalle at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 16:23:44 BST 2007

Greg,

Sorry, my message is a bit off-topic, but this suject
breaks my heart everytime someone talks about it: if
anyone is considering buying a Creative X-Fi sound
card, think twice, because there is no linux support
yet.

Creative promised a proprietary driver more than one
year and nothing was released yet. The card seems to
have a completely different architecture, so the ALSA
project cannot do much either without strong support
from Creative.

João.

--- Greg Jones <citpz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all. I am having more fun than I should have
> with Ubuntu Studio. I just can't stop writing music.
> Thanks to everyone for putting this together.
>
> I am in the market to get a better sound card. I
> have
> been using a Sound Blaster Audigy and have gotten
> pretty good mileage with Ubuntu Studio for simple
> sequencing and sampling. I am moving towards a more
> professional setup where I can track vocals and
> guitar
> so the Audigy may not cut it. I have been research
> the
> latest cards and microphones to accomplish my goals
> on
> a small budget. The two cards I am looking at are:
>
> Echo Gina3G
> M-Audio Fast Track Pro Mobile USB
>
> They are both listed in the ALSA matrix and all
> features are said to work. I wanted to do a reality
> check and see if anyone on the list use these cards
> and what their experience with them has been with
> Ubuntu Studio (or any other distro using jack). Any
> feedback would be great. Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

João Guilherme Del Valle