Can't reboot

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Wed Jun 13 15:37:57 BST 2007

Tipton, Timothy kirjoitti:
> I've also already tried to reconfigure X - still have no luck. I will
> try again, if need be, but tell me this, after I backup my current
> Xorg.conf - if it screws up, how do I replace it back on top of the
> "new(broken)" one?

Just do it vice versa:

"sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf"

You can then start X from terminal like this "startx".

And you can kill your running X like this:

asmok at ubuntu:~$ ps ax | grep X

4792 tty7     Ss+    7:17 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -br -audit 0 -auth
/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
12248 pts/0    R+     0:00 grep X

asmok at ubuntu:~$ sudo kill 4792

4792 is id for X process, it is every time different, when your X start.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.