Chipset intel-hda (ICH8)

Christopher Stamper christopherstamper at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:41:25 GMT 2007

I have a newer Intel HDA, embedded on my Motherboard. I think its ICH8.

It works, almost. I can get audio output, but it sounds horrible. Never
really tried to get it to work, as I'm using a PCI card.

But it sounds like its skipping or something. Like I need to add some
latency, buffer, or whatever: like the cpu can't keep up (it can). Just
using the default install, no drivers, or other hacks.

On Dec 26, 2007 3:15 PM, Antonio Mancina <mancina at gandalf.sssup.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just bought a new laptop, there's a Realtek soundcard inside (intel
> high definition - ICH8).
> This is the corresponding row in lspci output:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
> Controller (rev 03)
>
> I've tried to follow the instructions for my plain Ubuntu installation in
> Ubuntustudio to make it work, but with no results.
> In particular, in K/Ubuntu, it's sufficient to install the
> linux-backports-modules-generic package and to add the following row
>
> option intel-hda-sound model=toshiba
>
> to the end of the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file. After a simple reboot,
> the sound works.
>
> I've tried exactly the same thing in Ubuntustudio, with
> linux-backports-modules-2.6.22-14-rt in place of
> linux-backports-modules-generic  but with no
> success.
>
> Has anyone managed to make this soundcard work in UbStudio?
>
> Thanks all!
> Bye,
> --
> Antonio