Ozone Academic USB Interface/MIDI keyboard

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 07:54:27 GMT 2007

Hello,

After following the instructions in post #49 in this thread on Ubuntu
forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148467&page=5
I have lost all sound in Rosegarden, but I can both play back and record in
Ardour.  As before, the Ozone keyboard does not show up as a MIDI client.  I
am running Ubuntu Studio Gutsy on an AMD 64 machine with 1GB RAM.  It
doesn't seem to make any difference whether I set the Ozone Academic as the
default with asoundconf or not--I have installed asoundconf-gtk to make that
easier. The device shows up in JACK (after having mysteriously disappeared
for a couple of sessions) and I can play sound through it with non-JACK
applications as well as Ardour.

What should I do to get sound and MIDI working with this device in
Rosegarden?  Is there any other information I could post for you to help
diagnose the problem? Do you want to see the output of any command-line
tools?

The Academic is a fairly recent version of M-Audio's Ozone audio
interface/keyboard that is part of the Pro-Tools Academic bundle.  It
supposedly does not need a firmware load to run under Linux, unlike previous
versions.  However, I loaded the firmware anyway, having read instructions
for the older versions. The firmware page is located here:
http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/

I'm happy to wait until after the holiday for an answer, OTOH it would be
gift I could receive joyfully, if you want to play Santa.

Peace,

Paul in Seattle