Asus Eee

Luis de Bethencourt bethencourt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:15:08 GMT 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 11:02 AM, David Nadasi <macrophone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, noise reduction is a point, and it's true that peripherals cables era
> more reliable on short distances.
>
> I was talking about radio broadcasting.
> In a radio studio, you've got the technician room, with mixdesk, turntables,
> and a PC with automation system (as Rivendell ). There is also the speaker
> room with mics and the "on the air" light.
>
> With a thin client in the speaker room, the speaker could play and stop some
> audio materials, read some listeners chat, etc... In the same time, the
> technician could manage the automation system in the background on the main
> box.

The radio idea is nice, you mention the talker/dj scenario. Where you
have in the speaker room somebody talking and playing music/ads/etc.
Or even the ones where the speaker room launches funny noises but the
tech room has the control of the outcome.

In a digital world using a thin client is a nice idea. But if you use
a remote X session, won't the tech room loose control? Unless you do
some crazy setup like having the tech room run in one user and the
speaker room run in a second user, and the tech room manipulating the
speaker room's user audio through jack.

Can you plug stuff from different users in jack?

Luis de Bethencourt