Ubuntu-Studio-users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 56

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:39:16 GMT 2007

> From: "Luis de Bethencourt" <bethencourt at gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu Studio Users Help and Discussion" <
> ubuntu-studio-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:47:33 +0100
> Subject: Re: My single quote key is misbehaving
> Fix the keyboard layout. What you are seeing is not a single quote but
> a latin accent.
>
> '  -> quote
> ` -> accent
> ´ -> other accent
>
> Why you have to press it twice? Because àccénts gó with léttèrs. So
> you préss the accent and then the lèttér it goes with. And if you want
> it alone, you press it twice.
>
> Luis de Bethencourt
>

> > On Nov 27, 2007 10:32 PM, Darrin Goodman <darrin.goodman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Essentially, when I hit the single quote key, on the first click,
> > > nothing happens, or sometimes my computer will beep at me but it won´t
> > > print the quote.  Usually, the single quote appears after the second
> > > click of the key.  Also, the single quote is not the standard tick
> > > mark, but is rather a very sloped single quote.  Not sure if the slope
> > > comes across or not in this email. ( ´ )
> > > - Darrin
>
> From: Yvan Vander Sanden <yvan at youngmusic.org>
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature!
>
> If you want the standard tick mark, press the quote followed by a space.
> This is also very handy for making characters with accents. Just type
> the quote followed by the character: é á ź ć
>
> backwards accents can be formed with the quote left from the number one:
>
> à è
>
> Trema's with the double quote ä ë etc.
>
> You should be able to change this behaviour using
> System->preferences->keyboard but I don't know what option you should
> choose. Guess you have to experiment a bit.  On the other hand, this
> feature is really handy if you get used to it. Maybe you should try it
> for a few weeks.
>
> yvan

Hi,

My keyboard is not doing this; what keyboard layout should I choose in
Systems->preverences->keyboards to get this feature?  Sometimes I post on
the Musix forum and might like to interject some Spanish. This feature would
be so much easier than switching back and forth between keyboards!  If you
visit Musix forums (http://foros.musix.es), I am Bazbo; on Ubuntu Forums I
am Aurora.  Like  Yvan, I also have an M-Audio Ozone, but I have been
struggling for over a year to get it to work properly in Linux.  You are
lucky yours works. If you think you can help, please see this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148467&page=5
I have stumped everybody on every forum and mail list I have tried.  Maybe
it is just time for new hardware?

Luis, thank you for the short tutorial.  Now maybe I won't have to skip the
accent marks when I attempt to write in Spanish.

As you can see, I am behind reading this forum, and am just getting to late
November.  If you reply to this message, please CC zaltar at myway dot com
so I see the reply before next February :0  Also, G-Mail does not let me
write the subject line when I reply, so I am sorry for the silly subject
line, but there is nothing I can do about it.  At least I edited the other
posts from the digest.

Cheers,

Paul in Seattle