[ubuntu-studio-devel] Virtual Instrument Gap and last update

Peter Reppert preppert at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 02:59:34 UTC 2020

Hi, everyone.

I upgraded to 20.04 and updated Wine - that solved pretty much all of my
issues. Unfortunately, the last round of updates that just came out seem to
have wreaked havoc with audio playback and Ubuntu Studio Console has gone
missing (and I could not reinstall it).

Details on that below, first the *good news*;

   - New MIDI controller maps to Reaper and can set up CC#'s with VSTi's.
   - Other controller issues fixed.
   - Running Windows 10.
   - ToneLIb GFX noise canceling works.
   - Sticking with 32-bit VSTi for now, working fine.

As to the bigger question I was trying to pose (future-proofing), I took
some action:

   - I did update the Audio Handbook Wiki with notes based on what I
   learned doing the 20.04 upgrade.  I hope to keep working on that. Please
   read and edit as you see fit.
   - I did not approach any vendors or virtual instrument makers about
   releasing/maintaining LInux versions of their software. I know it's
   pie-in-the-sky, but ideally, Linux users should voice their preference to
   run software natively  instead of relying on  Wine.
   - Instead I asked a couple of YouTube channels who review music
   free/shareware to review Ubuntu Studio if they have not already done so. If
   I see other appropriate places, I'll keep making the same suggestion. Power
   in numbers.
   - This laptop still won't meet the specs for some of the latest and
   greatest plugins, but now that's purely a hardware issue.  If I have maxed
   out the RAM, I'll just replace this laptop. In the meantime, it's not like
   there aren't oodles of virtual synths available.

This should possibly be a separate thread, but now I've mentioned it...

I don't know for certain that the last update caused my audio problem.
Sound is choppy as in a square wave, regular interval.  This is with the
DAW,  audio player, browser, anything that makes sound.  I should add all
Jack audio connections that had been set up were disconnected.  Connecting
Pulse to system out makes the choppy sound, otherwise it's mute.  And there
are suddenly a lot of subfolders exploded in the Audio/Effects menu, I
think because U. Studio Controls vanished.  There's been an alert pop-up
"found a problem with you system. notify?" from the time I first upgraded
last Friday, so maybe that's the real origin of this bug.  Did not look at
error log yet and don't know what diagnostics to run.  For now I was just
wondering if this is just me or a* known issue*?   I'm on an older Lenovo
ThinkPad.

Thanks again for the suggestions, they really helped!

Pete