[ubuntu-studio-devel] UbuntuStudio Installer Error (Was: Ubuntu Studio 19.10: Autoremove deleted my whole system)

Thomas Pfundt captain-tux at protonmail.ch
Fri Nov 29 18:18:54 UTC 2019

Hello Erich, good to read you.

On Friday, 29 November 2019 17:40, Erich Eickmeyer <eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> This is the list for development collaboration, not support, and this is
> very much a support issue.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure where to draw the line, because it seemed closely tied to the installation/packaging system. But good to know what exactly is causing it and that it's a known issue, should have checked out the release notes beforehand.

Yes, I have deselected some programs in Ubiquity, but I specifically tried to keep all the metapackages (at least the ones that were marked as such), apparently that didn't work, however.

Erich Eickmeyer <eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Interesting. That would be a good thing to figure out. Myself and Len
> have done installs like that and never once ran into that error. I hope
> you're not mistaking the "Please log-out and log-in" dialog at the end
> for an error.

No, absolutely not.

I can only tell you right now that the following happened: I installed Kubuntu 19.10 including updates, then "ubuntustudio-installer". I first only selected "linux-lowlatency", "ubuntustudio-lowlatency-settings" and "ubuntustudio-performance-tweaks". The installation started and halted at around half for a few seconds, then an error dialog appeared that looked similar to the restart call, but I *believe* that there was actually an error declared (unfortunately, I can not recall the exact message). I rebooted and still had the lowlatency kernel, although I had to click on "fix realtime-permissions" in controls (it did not add an audio group beforehand).

I did a second install and it worked right away, both were relatively "fresh" systems.

Now, I don't know what could have caused this, maybe even just a bad ethernet connection (?), I'll try to recreate it on my hardware.