[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio 19.10: Autoremove deleted my whole system

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 29 16:40:32 UTC 2019

Hi Thomas,

This is the list for development collaboration, not support, and this is
very much a support issue. That's the ubuntu-studio-users list.

"Thomas Pfundt" <captain-tux at protonmail.ch> – November 29, 2019 4:14 AM
> Hi all,
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu Studio 19.10 after flirting around with
Kubuntu a
> bit (grass-always-greener-syndrome) and decided to settle back on Xfce.
>
> I know it's a little late for 19.10 bug reports, but after installing
> everything, I did an "apt autoremove", because I usually get some leftover
> packages after my initial setup. However, this time I accepted without
looking
> too closely and it basically deleted my whole system, everything, even
xinit.

> I've never had this happen before. Does somebody know what could have
caused
> this? Or what the issue might be related to? I'd like to avoid this
happening
> at a later stage down the line when I just remove a program or something.

This is a known bug with the Ubiquity installer [1] and is mentioned in
the release notes [2]. Chances are you unselected either a metapackage
or more than one package during the installation.

> On a side note: While using the Ubuntu Studio Installer on Kubuntu, I
got an
> error message at the end. I think it still installed everything (at
least the
> kernel and made some audio tweaks), but I had to fix the
realtime-config in
> Controls afterward. Unfortunately, I haven't taken any screenshots of the
> error and wasn't able to reproduce it on another clean install, but if it
> comes up again, it did happen before at least once.

Interesting. That would be a good thing to figure out. Myself and Len
have done installs like that and never once ran into that error. I hope
you're not mistaking the "Please log-out and log-in" dialog at the end
for an error.

Good to hear from you!
Erich

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1851346