[ubuntu-studio-devel] Kali Distro

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Wed May 8 16:18:29 UTC 2019

Hello Helios,

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:52 AM, Helios Martinez Dominguez
<helios.cobain.stefani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I must recognize i have been away some time trying out a different
> distribution which proved itself way more stable for navigation and
> everyday tasks than Ubuntu Studio, beyond media production itself. I
> even tried to customize a Linux Distribution from scratch over it,
> adding media production software, unsuccessfully.
>
> I refer to Kali Linux <https://www.kali.org/> Distribution, a
> Penetration Testing distribution also based on Debian which meant a
> lot more stability about networking to me, which i use a lot. It's
> repository is somehow blocked. I intended upgrading and/or adding
> packages without fruitful results. I mention it because i would love
> to have the same stability i enjoy on it within our Ubuntu Linux
> distribution, although i myself could not grasp even upgrading
> packages into it without having to reinstall from scratch a few
> times, until i simply surrendered stating i don't seem to be prepared
> enough for the task. There is plenty of documentation on the site
> about configuring a custom distribution from it. I'm sorry if this is
> not the place to contribute in this way, but i really would
> appreciate somebody taking a look at it as a possible core to media
> production distro, which i tried myself without positive results. It
> has not substituted at all Ubuntu Studio distribution for media
> production and design, but switching from distro to distro sometimes
> turns awkward as i would rather avoid reseting and bootstrapping each
> time a change of functions is needed. Sorry again if there's no
> disposition about it or I misplaced the scope.

I would have to say this is outside of the scope of Ubuntu Studio. We
only support adding Ubuntu Studio onto Ubuntu and its flavors via
Ubuntu Studio Installer, which you can find the instructions for at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioInstaller.
It does all of the configuration the old wiki documents did
automatically.

Any documentation that is on the site that adds Ubuntu Studio to an
existing Ubuntu installation is severely outdated except for the page
about Ubuntu Studio Installer.

We don't support adding Ubuntu Studio to Kali Linux or any other
distribution outside of Ubuntu and its flavors. Remember, Ubuntu Studio
is Ubuntu, not a separate distribution.

Thanks,
Erich
----