[ubuntu-studio-devel] Checking in, a little vision, Calf & LMMS

Thomas Pfundt captain-tux at protonmail.ch
Wed Jan 2 17:53:20 UTC 2019

Hi Erich and everyone else reading,

a happy and successful new year to all of you, too!

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 7:39 PM, Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com wrote:

> I hope everyone is having a happy new year. I haven't been checking-in
> lately due to a number of things going on in my life. First, it was work
> getting busy, then it was a bit of depression onset by my resigning said
> position (they pretty much promised me that I wouldn't ever have room
> for advancement or promotion, or even being full-time).

I have also had experiences working in such positions and, without knowing your exact life situation, I would like offer a few words of encouragement by saying that although it may be difficult, it's not a bad choice to end such a condition in which you feel unable to move forward and I wish you the best of luck to find a better occupation soon!

Is there a comprehensive list of these changes somewhere? I'm only aware of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation, but that doesn't include much information on the system configuration to for example comply with Linuxaudio.org's recommended scanner-script: https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan.

I also remember reading about tweaks regarding the hardware timers on https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration#timers that weren't set on my Ubuntu Studio system and I believe, without being able to specify anything right now, that there were some other configuration options from there on that I adopted. I personally can't assess how important those changes are, but I remember reading something about the lowlatency kernel not being necessary anymore, as all patches had been included in generic at this point. While I don't know the details of that and would probably stay with it for safety, maybe some parts of the configuration could be in need of a review? I might be completely wrong, but that's just something I've been asking myself for a while.

Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

> The other thing, which I believe Thomas was working on, was changing our
> Plymouth boot theme. I'll admit, Plymouth quite over my head. Thomas,
> have you made any progress on this?

I've had to consult with a friend of mine who's working as a programmer to get a basic understanding of how the themes work. I haven't touched it over the holidays, but I'll try to get something viewable together as soon as possible.

By the way, if anybody has got specific ideas regarding the looks of it already, please feel free to share them with me. Now I guess would be the time to discuss any ideas.

Kind regards,
Thomas