[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio 19.04 Released!

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 18 13:15:05 UTC 2019

Ubuntu Studio 19.04 Released! <http://ubuntustudio.org/?p=1564>
The Ubuntu Studio team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu
Studio 19.04, code-named “Disco Dingo”. This marks Ubuntu
Studio’s 25th release, and is its largest and most feature-full
release in a long while. This release is a regular release and as such,
it is supported for 9 months.

For those requiring longer-term support, we encourage you to install
Ubuntu Studio 18.04 “Bionic Beaver” and add the Ubuntu Studio
Backports PPA
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/BackportsPPA>, which
will keep 18.04 supported through April 2020. Please do not install
Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS anymore as it reaches end-of-life (EOL) on
April 21, 2019.

Since it’s just out, you may experience some issues, so you might
want to wait a bit before upgrading. Please see the release notes
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DiscoDingo/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuStudio> for a
complete list of changes and known issues.

New This Release
Ubuntu Studio Installer
Ubuntu Studio is arguably the most popular multimedia creation
operating system on Earth. With *Ubuntu Studio Installer
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioInstaller>*,
it is now not only an operating system, but a *complete multimedia
toolkit for all official flavors of Ubuntu.*

This means you are no longer limited to our default Xfce-based desktop,
but can now install Ubuntu Studio’s benefits on the Ubuntu flavor of
your choice.

For more information, please see the official wiki article
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioInstaller>.

Carla 2.0.0
Officially released on April 15, 2019, *Carla 2.0.0* has been added to
Ubuntu Studio to replace the outdated jack-rack and add more
functionality.

Carla is an audio plugin host that can handle many different types of
plugins, from Ladspa to DSSI to LV2 to VST. In fact, if you install the
WINE bridge (not installed by default), Carla can host Windows-compiled
VST plugins.

Carla can also act as a plugin itself, allowing your DAW to use any
audio plugin.

Carla also includes a patchbay, which is functionally similar to that
of Patchage.

Other Changes
*Ubuntu Studio Controls
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioControls>*has
been upgraded to 1.7 with many bugfixes, and is now the *preferred
method for starting Jack.* As such, we ask that you *discontinue use of
QJackCtl* for starting Jack. QJackCtl remains a good way to monitor
Jack’s performance and logs.

Also in Ubuntu Studio 19.04 is new default theming for our Desktop
Environment, Window Manager, and Icons.

Want to help out?
Ubuntu Studio is maintained by a very small team and we are actively
seeking new contributors. We are looking for *developers*, *packagers*
and *testers*. Even if you are interested in contributing outside these
areas, please do not hesitate to reach out. Your contribution is
precious regardless of your field of activity. We are open to
volunteers with all expertise levels. Just head over to our contribute
<http://ubuntustudio.org/contribute/> page to find out how to get
started.

Found a bug?
Taking the time to report bugs makes a huge difference; it’s the
first step towards improvement! Clear and specific bug reports is the
best way to get attention to a problem that needs fixing. The easiest
way to create a bug report is with the terminal.

Open one up and type: /ubuntu-bug <package>/

Read more about this at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs>

Special Thanks for This Release
*Erich Eickmeyer*, Council Chair, Communications, Ubuntu Studio
Installer contributions, Social Media, Packaging, Documentation,
Artwork, Theming, Vision*Len Ovens*, Council Member, Ubuntu Studio
Controls, Ubuntu Studio Installer, Coding*Set Hallstrom*, Council
Member, Guidance*Eylul Dogruel*, Artwork*Ross Gammon*, Council Member,
Guidance, Packaging, Sage Wisdom*Our many testers and help along the
way*