[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio Installer on Gnome

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Wed Apr 17 14:49:55 UTC 2019

Hi Ross,

Nice feedback! :)

I can't address the freezing issues, so I might have to leave that to
Len to work out. That said, I can probably address your UX issues.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:27 AM, Ross Gammon <rosco at ubuntustudio.org>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> [snip]
>
> Wish List
> ---------
>
> Gnome doesn't have a menu. Yes I know - I don't want to start a flame
> war and comparison of Desktops :-)
> Using standard Ubuntu (Unity and Gnome) for years for non-audio stuff,
> this has never been a problem for me. All my favourite apps are pinned
> so I can just click on the icon, and I am mostly in the terminal
> anyway.
> It is very rare that I have to remember the name of that (e.g.
> scanning
> app) and type the first letters to execute it (if it isn't sitting in
> the "frequently used" category).
>
> But what is the name of that wierd synthesizer or plugin? Plugins can
> be
> partially solved by pinning carla I suppose. But...
>
> Wouldn't it be great if you could start the Ubuntu Studio menu from
> some
> panel in gnome. Or have some other category based app launcher. I did
> search and there are some extensions out there, but nothing
> conclusive.
> Meow looked promising, but didn't seem to have a way of loading a
> configuration for users at install time.
> Any ideas?

There is no way to put the Ubuntu Studio menu inside Gnome since it's
an Xfce-only thing. There are ways to add single-layer categories, but
Gnome doesn't do this by default. We lucked-out in that KDE Plamsa
honors our menus. Unfortunately, there is not a Gnome-based desktop
with a menu that honors those menus, save MATE with the traditional
menu.

The idea behind adding Ubuntu Studio to an exting flavor is that while
we support the tools they add, they're still running whatever flavor
was initially installed and, therefore, the support relies with that
team. The idea was to not change their defaults, but to add a way to
simpy install the tools and configuration that we install. We don't
support the desktop environment they choose, but we help them by making
it so they don't have to write the under-the-hood configurations
manually.

So, while it's a nice thought, Gnome just isn't configurable in the way
you're describing (without adding an extension, which isn't easy), and
we really want to leave it to the user to configure the desktop
environment of their choice the way they see fit. I think in your case,
there's probably an extension at extensions.gnome.org that you can get,
but there's no guarantee that it will honor our menu structure.

That's my two cents.

Erich
----
Erich Eickmeyer