[ubuntu-studio-devel] Web design/theme contribution

eylul eylul at ubuntustudio.org
Sun Apr 14 15:34:32 UTC 2019

Hi Erich and Shinta,

This is what we had https://ubuntustudio.azbulutlu.org/ a few years ago,
and again the main issue is that this was a few years ago. It was based
on the theme that existed for all ubuntu flavors at the time, and it was
actually collaboration of several people, not me alone. :) (there was
some newer cleaner graphics that replaced these, so this is not the
final version of the theme. I believe the latest version is somewhere in
the repos, somewhere.

The point is that while it was very pretty, it is a bit OLD :) and we
were working with a lot of technical limitations in terms of what we
could do within the constraints of the layout we were basing on, modules
we could use etc (and we were at the time trying to make sure it was
easy to update without having to get involved with the code). :) I do
like Shinta's design quite a lot. I might suggest some tweaks to make
content not be halfway visible when page is loaded, and maybe
verification of the order of things on first page, but these are pretty
minor, if they can handle the coding side of it as well, I think it
might be a good idea to go ahead with it. The proposed design looks very
coherent, and definitely has my vote as a user if nothing else. :)

In terms of what got stuck is that we lost communication with the IS at
some point (which made addition of some critical plugins to wordpress
not possible) and there was some disagreements about how to handle the
non-regular aspect of the install, and well we needed to synchronize
this to a git repository somewhere which... The shared of hosting and my
lack of knowledge of git at the time didn't help there.

Main thing if you guys go with this design is that Shinta we will need
from you (or at least this is what we decided at the time we needed,
Erich and the current team might have different opinions) will be work
files (preferably using FLOSS software) of all of the graphics (so that
the team can reuse, edit these assets if needed in future). Release
information clarifying these images are available in a CC by-SA or GPL
license, and to make sure any material you used that wasn't your own
creation (e.g. background photograph on the bottom or any part of the
illustration if they are not your own creation) have a compatible
license and attribution information for it. As this is a draft if you
used some random image, I believe we have some photographs available
somewhere of mixers and keyboards, in art assets repo I think? :)

I'll be also happy to help if any additional hands required for graphics
or programming, or just as a second eye from a usability perspective (my
experience with wordpress is a little better than it was back when I was
involved with this project ;) )

Hope this is of help. Glad to see some movement on this project, and
thank you Shinta for taking the initiative to reach out.

Best

Eylul