[ubuntu-studio-devel] Some thoughts, frustrations, and considerations.

Thomas Pfundt captain-tux at protonmail.ch
Wed Sep 26 13:40:56 UTC 2018

Hi Antoine,

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:44 PM, ttoine <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:

>> After all, the point is to be able to install an optimised system without spending a lot of time searching for all the software, plugins and configurations
>
> You can do that with some metapackages, scripts, or even a tutorial. Does that justify the work and energy to maintain a distribution?

I suppose that's exactly the question that just came up and I'm personally unsure if you could or not. If you can, then that might possibly even be a better option (from my point of view at least) for the previosly mentioned reasons by myself and Erich.

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:44 PM, ttoine <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:

> Maybe this energy could be more useful to help AVLinux or KXStudio? Just questions, please don't see any attack here.

Unfortunately, I can't really say anything all too useful about those distributions.

Back when I started using Ubuntu Studio 16 (or rather 15.10), there wasn't an AV Linux release and I believe I read that the project had halted, so I was actually suprised to read about it again so frequently on this mailing list recently. I suppose there's a new release out, but I haven't taken a look at it, yet.

I have briefly used KXStudio back then as well, but it just felt a bit bloated and cumbersome (or I guess they call that "feature-rich" these days) to me from what I remember and I found the default setup tools to be a little confusing compared to Ubuntu Studio, although I guess they do have some more GUI options. I haven't used it since then, but the latest ISO currently is also 14.04, which is close to EOL or probably already EOL, if it's based on Kubuntu. I don't know what Falk's plans are right now, but it doesn't look all that active, either.

To join forces may also be a good idea, but how that could work out, I don't know.