[ubuntu-studio-devel] Some thoughts, frustrations, and considerations.

Thomas Pfundt captain-tux at protonmail.ch
Sun Sep 23 22:24:50 UTC 2018

Hi Erich and everyone else reading,

-‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, September 21, 2018 5:55 PM, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
> My proposal is to keep Ubuntu Studio's ISO as Xfce, but to develop
> metapackages that bolt Ubuntu Studio on to an existing install of
> another flavor.

I'm going to get right to the point - without probably fully understanding all the implications of such a decision, I think this is a great idea and have thought so since it first came up in one of the meetings.

Besides of what Erich already mentioned, I mainly see the advantage of offering users a simple way to turn their running installation into a media-creation system without having to go through the hassle of completely wiping and reinstalling a different derivative.

As far as I understand, it could even allow for using an Ubuntu Vanilla installation, turning it into a pseudo Ubuntu Studio system and getting up to five years of security patches, which might be useful for largely unadministered set-and-forget systems in institutions and such.

>From a user-experience perspective, I suppose it's a lucrative selling point to offer those features without forcing a specific DE. That way, every user could choose one that fits their needs best. I know that Len had some specific criteria for why he chose Plasma as the alternative DE, but I had the "joy" of being forced to work with the new Kubuntu for a couple of weeks on the side and it's just not my personal favourite, but that of course doesn't mean that it's not perfectly suited for some other peoples' workflows.

After our last meeting, I had a very brief talk with Eylul and would be willing to take over at least her PR-related duties, since I've done this before and would consider myself competent enough, if it helps keeping everyones' backs free on that part. Unfortunately though, also working two jobs at the moment, I don't feel comfortable making any promises of taking on the more technical tasks that are so essential to the project right now, probably only hurting progress by doing so.

Maybe taking one step back and rethinking the direction of the project is a good idea. There's no point in chasing something that can't be reached at the moment when that time and energy can be spent making something else reachable. Anyway, I'll be here for any considerations.

Best regards,
Thomas