[ubuntu-studio-devel] Git seeds (was - jack-mixer)

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Sun Oct 28 16:31:56 UTC 2018

On 10/28/2018 04:54 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2018, Ross Gammon wrote:
>
>> For information, the seeds have been converted to git. The archive and
>> cd-image have now been switched to use git instead of bzr. I am just
>> waiting for the the new "D" name for 19.04, and then we can create the
>> new git branch for "D", and then I will do an ubuntustudio-meta update
>> which is the final place to switch away from bzr.
>
> Thanks Ross. Can you confirm (or not) my guesses below:
>
> So all changes go into master first? Then cycle branches are rebased
> from master till release? The cycle branches can be directly changed
> after release for bug fix? Rebasing current cycle branches would be
> manual or auto?

We have followed the suggestions of all the other flavours and created
git branches for each series:
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntustudio

There is no master branch at the moment.

With bzr, it was the Ubuntu Release team that created each development
release branch from the last commit of the previous series branch. It is
probably a semi-automatic process that they run.

It is probably easier to keep it this way than switch to a more normal
git workflow (with master having all the development work).

While we wait, there is no reason that someone couldn't create a git
branch, do the jack-mixer fix, and push it to their own git repo with a
commit referencing the bug. Then it would be ready for merging once the
development series branch is created.

It is probably a good idea to practise this and document it for "non-dev
team" new contributors. Our seeds page needs updating anyway:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Seeds

Ross