[ubuntu-studio-devel] Cosmic Release Notes

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 18 02:55:29 UTC 2018

>On Oct 17, 2018, at 4:34 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CosmicCuttlefish/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuStudio

Hi,

just a warning regarding GIMP 2.10.6.

Two days ago I used it on Arch Linux. It's more or less unusable. It
turns out that independent of the used distro GIMP 2.10.x is broken and
users tend to downgrade to 2.8.x. So did I, but when I tried to open a
graphic with 2.8.22, that was saved with 2.10.6, I got

"XCF error: unsupported XCF file version 11 encountered".

I didn't test, if switching all layers from "default" to "legacy" mode
or another workaround and than saving the file with 2.10.6, allows to
open it with GIMP 2.8.

However, weather GIMP 2.10 is or is not broken, I would add a note to
the the release notes, since backwards compatibility could be important,
even if GIMP 2.10 should be stable. Users might work on a project and
share files between different graphic apps or at least different GIMP
releases, on different Linux distros, different operating systems or
just different Ubuntu releases.

Regards,
Ralf