[ubuntu-studio-devel] Vision for 19.04 and beyond

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Mon Oct 15 05:23:23 UTC 2018

On 10/14/2018 06:01 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, Ross Gammon wrote:
>
>> With all these changes to seeds, I would recommend converting from
>> bazaar to git before we start. We are the last flavour to do it I
>> believe. I am happy to take that on if required.
>
> That would be wonderful. It seems that for the history to be right a
> number of seeds would have to be added as branches. Or do we start fresh
> for d*? That is the main thing keeping me from trying. Most of our
> packages are just master linearly with tags (though branches will appear
> for bug fixes). They were easy :) (well maybe we did them wrong too).
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

There is a guide to how to do it here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Germinate/ConvertingToGit

The past releases appear as git branches. See example for Lubuntu here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/lubuntu/

But at the bottom of the conversion guide, is an explanation of how you
could archive the history in another separate repo. But I would prefer
to keep the history in one place. That is what a VCS is for!

I would be nervous about doing the switch just before a release.
Although it would avoid the release team having to create the d* bzr
branch for us using the old procedure. Maybe we could do it as soon as
the release is announced?

Ross