[ubuntu-studio-devel] availability of alternate DEs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Oct 7 16:01:48 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018, jaquilina at eagleeyet.net wrote:

> I do like this direction things are going to be fair with the below
> suggestion.
>
> Just some food for thought. Let us say i install normal ubuntu. if i
> install the meta package for kde version of studio obviously the gnome
> stuff will be removed and then the new KDE stuff will be installed
> right?

Actually no, one can run as many DEs as they would like to. KDA (Plasma)
can live along side gnome just fine.

There are relatively few conflicts between Studio and vanilla. The kernel
while not strictly a conflict does need tweaking to make sure the right
one runs if there is more than one. Some of the Codex we install do
require the simpler codex package be removed, though that doesn't affect
regular desktop use but rather extends it.

If we were to try allowing the user to DL and install a different DE at
install time, the user would also be able to choose not to install the DE
the ISO comes with.

www.ovenwerks.net